Be an Ally
Outline pride themselves on helping people who are coming to terms with their sexuality and gender identity. Sometimes, this may just be providing a listening ear and a safe space to let others speak their truth.
There are things we can all do to support others in their time of need – it’s a year round thing but useful to highlight during Pride Month:
– Listening to others rather than saying what you think you may already know – everyone has their own story;
– Educating yourself on the history of the LGBT+ movement and the ongoing challenges;
– Familiarising yourself with the language;
– Be compassionate and mindful of others feelings and not using language which might be offensive, even if you are only saying it as a “joke”;
– Not asking intrusive questions;
– Stepping up and speaking out if someone is in trouble (whilst keeping yourself safe at the same time of course);
– Creating a safe environment to make people feel comfortable to be themselves;
– Getting involved in a cause which you are passionate about.
And most of all, which encompasses all of the above